Monday, June 1, 2009

Sandwich Simplicity

I am a mayonnaise hater. There I said it. I will never understand the dipping of anything in to straight mayonnaise. However, I do tolerate it as a binder in a few things, namely various savory salads. Growing up chicken salad was one of my favorite sandwiches, but obviously I've not had it in some time. I recently ran across a vegan version using soy curls and thought "duh, why didn't I think of that?!" and immediately set out to create my own. It's similarity to the original is uncanny. I use just enough mayonnaise to bind the filling, but you can of course adjust to suit your taste.


Chicken Salad Sandwich

1/2 cup water
1/2 tbsp chicken broth concentrate 
1/2 cup dry soy curls
1 stalk celery, diced small
1 tbsp chives, minced
1 1/2 tbsp mayonnaise
salt and pepper to taste
bread and toppings of choice

Place water and broth concentrate in a microwave safe cup. Heat on high about 1 minute or until hot and broth is dissolved. Give it a good stir and add soy curls. Stir to ensure all the curls have had made contact with the broth and let stand five minutes. 

Drain curls and squeeze out (you don't want the totally dry, but they shouldn't give up liquid easily), and chop well. Add to a bowl with celery, chives, mayonnaise, salt and pepper and stir until evenly incorporated. Pile onto eating vessel of choice and dig in. I like mine on whole wheat bread with fresh sprouts. Yum!

2 comments:

Tara said...

That does look like a really nice sandwich!

Bethany said...

that is a really good idea. I'll have to stock up on soy curls. this is sandwich weather after all. though in my book, it's always sandwich weather.