Sunday, April 13, 2008

Food is coming... I swear...

I have loads of food to share, I've just been having computer issues. Anyway.

For now, I have a quick review to share with you and you can see a picture of it on this blog. It is Veganomicon's Quinoa, Black Bean, and Mango Salad (or something like that). I made a couple minor changes. I was out of black beans so I used pinto, I only used 1/2 of a red bell pepper (it was really big, and 1/2 was plenty for us), I used lime juice instead of red wine vinegar, and I cut back the oil to 1tsp (and I used flax - trying to up those omega 3s).

It was really delicious, and even better it keeps exceptionally well; this would make a great picnic salad. I made it for us for dinner one night and we both decided later that we were not really hungry. We had it the next night for dinner, and I ate the leftovers for a couple more days. I don't know how red wine vinegar would have affected the texture, but even the chopped cilantro held up the whole time with the lime juice. I just added a little more lime juice when I served it to freshen it up. Totally yummy and healthy.

I was predisposed to like it though - it is basically a salad version of one of my favorite salsas. However, it is not the least bit spicy, so if you want to kick up the heat you should add a finely diced pepper of your choosing. If you're not adverse to eating the same thing for a few days in a row this would be a great salad to make on the last day of your weekend to take for lunch for a few days because it does keep so well. I took a picture, so as soon as I stop arguing with my computer, I'll post it!

No comments: